Israeli Affairs

Israeli cabinet proposes sanctions on Palestinian Authority and annexation of the West Bank

Al-Khamisa News Network - Gaza

The Israeli mini-cabinet (the “kabinett”) will on Sunday discuss measures described as escalatory and punitive against the Palestinians, including dismantling the Palestinian Authority and annexing parts of the occupied West Bank, in response to an expected wave of international recognitions of the State of Palestine next month.

According to the Israeli public broadcaster, the measures the kabinett will consider could include taking control over parts of the West Bank, advancing settlement projects in the “E1″ plan, and the evacuation of the Khan al-Ahmar Bedouin community east of occupied Jerusalem, which is home to about 200 Palestinian Bedouin. The Israeli Supreme Court has repeatedly ordered its demolition, while previous governments suspended carrying out the evacuation under international pressure.

Hebrew-language channel “Kan” reported that the kabinett will also consider seizing Palestinian Authority funds, and that the Israeli military is preparing for the possibility of clashes and a security escalation in the West Bank in September, coinciding with the Jewish holidays, with additional reserve forces expected to be called up for the front there.
The channel added that these measures will be discussed at a meeting convened to review the war in Gaza and negotiations over the release of hostages, as well as to set policy for responding to the wave of international recognition of Palestine.

It said Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich is leading these initiatives, calling for declaring annexation of the West Bank and dismantling the Palestinian Authority as deterrent measures. Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar also backed imposing diplomatic sanctions on countries that recognize Palestine, including closing the French consulate in Jerusalem.

قناة واتس اب الخامسة للأنباء

The channel noted that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed preparations for the expected wave of recognitions last week with several ministers, while National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, who was excluded from the session, expressed his anger, saying: “They do not want to hear my criticisms.”

It said a UN conference next month, launched by a French-Saudi initiative, is expected to prompt moves by countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Finland, Luxembourg, Portugal and San Marino toward recognizing the State of Palestine. Other countries that earlier announced formal recognition of an independent Palestinian state include Spain, Ireland and Norway.

The New York Post reported that the United States has decided not to allow Palestinian officials and diplomats to attend United Nations General Assembly meetings scheduled for next month in New York, including Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, a move the Palestinian presidency called contrary to international law and the “Headquarters Agreement”, particularly since the State of Palestine is an observer member at the UN.

On the negotiations file, “Kan” said ministers will be briefed at the meeting on the results of recent contacts with the Egyptian delegation, which ended without progress on a partial deal to release hostages, amid continuing gaps between Israel and mediators Egypt and Qatar over the proposal that Hamas approved.

Related Articles

Back to top button